Interim Austin-Travis Well being Authority Dr. Mark Escott doubled down yesterday on his conviction that state legislators ought to obtain precedence vaccinations, even when it means younger and wholesome lawmakers obtain the vaccine forward of extra at-risk folks.
Citing each the in-person legislative session and the chance of a superspreader occasion doubtlessly impeding the lawmaking course of, Escott mentioned, “If we focus vaccinations on over-65-year-olds, it decreases mortality 1 to 4 %. If we give attention to people who usually tend to unfold illness, it decreases transmission by 1 to five %. The Legislature determination was made as a result of in the course of the legislative session, with legislators being involved for six months, there’s the chance for a superspreading occasion.”
The comment was made throughout a joint assembly of the Austin Metropolis Council and the Travis County Commissioners Courtroom during which public well being officers mentioned Covid-19 neighborhood unfold and the vaccination distribution plan.
Transmission, positivity charges and hospitalizations had been all barely down from final week – a constructive consequence of Stage 5 precautions – although Escott described the curve extra as flattening than reducing. Notably, charges are nonetheless massively elevated in comparison with these of final month, with new admissions up 76 % and ICU mattress dissipate 97 %.
The share of Covid exams that resulted in constructive scores this week was 12.8 % total, down 3.4 % from final week’s positivity charge of 16.2 %. This marked an excellent higher lower from the prior week’s charge of 16.7 %.
“If we proceed these protections, if we proceed to remain residence after we can, we will push this down even additional like we did in the summertime and hopefully ease a few of these restrictions,” Escott mentioned. “No indication now as we go into February that we are going to get out of Stage 5.”
General, 22 % of hospital admissions within the county proper now are as a result of Covid-19. Forty-seven % of final week’s admissions are Caucasian, 38.2 % are Latinx and 10.7 are African American.
Escott reminded the commissioners and Council members that the AstraZeneca vaccine is predicted to obtain emergency-use authorization by the tip of the month.
A number of commissioners had questions on widespread confusion surrounding the seemingly arbitrary vaccine dispersal strategies.
Commissioner Margaret Gómez inquired about studies that quite a few folks outdoors of the 1B group – 65-plus and under-65 with a qualifying continual medical situation – had been receiving the vaccine early.
“With 350 suppliers, there are going to be circumstances the place there are others who fall outdoors that group,” Escott defined. “When you pull the vaccine up into syringes, you’ve obtained to make use of it in a brief time frame – typically suppliers establish extra doses within the vial. Moderna typically has 10 doses per vial, however a lot of these vials had 11 or 12 doses. So on the finish of the day, typically you’ve got additional, and it’s our accountability to get these doses out as rapidly as potential.”
Commissioner Jeff Travillion emphasised the necessity for vaccine dissemination hubs to be situated in susceptible communities, whereas Council Member Paige Ellis requested concerning the new variant of the virus.
“What will we find out about its transmission? Its contagiousness? Will we’d like a brand new vaccine? Are you able to go into extra about what’s and isn’t recognized about this new pressure?” Ellis requested.
Although Escott didn’t instantly reply the query concerning the vaccine’s effectiveness towards the brand new variant, he did affirm the brand new pressure’s elevated contagiousness, and talked about the existence of a federal effort to detect and reply to extra new variants by means of genomic sequencing.
County Decide Andy Brown instructed growing vaccine transparency by means of a central web site that would supply info such because the variety of vaccines Austin Public Well being is giving out and to whom, along with having a platform for folks to volunteer their assist.
“We’ve among the greatest tech firms on the planet in Austin, and Mayor (Steve) Adler can be keen to attach us,” Brown mentioned.
Stephanie Hayden-Howard, director of Austin Public Well being, expressed openness to the concept of a centralized portal, however indicated that APH would want time to construct one.
Editor’s Observe: Andy Brown is on the board of the Capital of Texas Media Basis, which is the dad or mum nonprofit of the Austin Monitor.
The Austin Monitor’s work is made potential by donations from the neighborhood. Although our reporting covers donors infrequently, we’re cautious to maintain enterprise and editorial efforts separate whereas sustaining transparency. An entire record of donors is accessible here, and our code of ethics is defined here.