The European Tremendous League was created “to save lots of soccer”, says Actual Madrid president Florentino Perez.
Actual are one of many 12 European golf equipment who’ve signed as much as the breakaway league and intend to determine a brand new midweek competitors.
Perez mentioned the transfer had been made as a result of younger persons are “now not interested by soccer” due to “plenty of poor high quality video games”.
“Each time there’s change, there are at all times individuals who oppose it,” he mentioned.
The English ‘huge six’ of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester Metropolis, Manchester United and Tottenham have agreed to join the new league.
The transfer has been criticised by soccer authorities and authorities ministers within the UK and extensively condemned throughout Europe by Uefa and leagues associations.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson will hold a meeting with soccer’s governing our bodies on Tuesday to debate the transfer, whereas the 14 Premier League golf equipment not included within the plans are additionally scheduled to fulfill.
Perez mentioned that the highest groups had been dropping cash and that big-name matches would assist enhance their income.
“We’re doing this to save lots of soccer at this vital second,” Perez instructed Spanish TV present El Chiringuito de Jugones.
“If we proceed with the Champions League there’s much less and fewer curiosity after which it is over.
“The brand new format which begins in 2024 is absurd. In 2024, we’re all useless.”
Plans for a revamped 36-team Champions League, beginning in 2024, had been confirmed by Uefa on Monday.
He added: “Within the ’50s, it was the same state of affairs. Uefa and Fifa went towards the brand new European Cup, however that competitors modified soccer.”
Why kind the ESL?
Perez mentioned the transfer had been accelerated by the coronavirus pandemic, which has led to matches being performed behind closed doorways.
He claimed 40% of younger persons are not interested by soccer and Actual have misplaced 400m euros (£344m) due to the influence of the pandemic.
“When you haven’t any earnings aside from from tv, you must discover a resolution to make extra enticing matches that followers all around the world can watch with the entire huge golf equipment,” mentioned Perez.
“Younger persons are now not interested by soccer. They produce other platforms on which to distract themselves.
“We might get again a number of the cash we misplaced due to the pandemic. We’ve to boost extra money organising extra aggressive video games.”
Nonetheless, critics say the transfer is being pushed purely by cash, would destroy home leagues and is towards the integrity of the game.
Former England captain Alan Shearer mentioned he hoped the English golf equipment would contemplate the response of their followers, which has been overwhelmingly destructive.
“Golf equipment discuss being a household and the way followers are the soul of the membership,” Shearer instructed BBC Breakfast.
“Effectively, let’s have a look at what they actually take into consideration the followers, as a result of the followers have now spoken.
“It’s clearly apparent that they do not need this, so let’s have a look at what their followers imply to the soccer golf equipment.”
When might it begin?
One other three groups shall be added to the league as assured members, with 5 extra qualifying annually.
Perez mentioned the group wish to begin the brand new league by August, ought to they attain an settlement with Uefa, in any other case it could possibly be delayed by a yr.
Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin known as the league a “disgraceful, self-serving” plan and a “spit within the face of soccer lovers”.
Ceferin additionally mentioned that gamers concerned with the ESL could possibly be banned from all Uefa competitions, which Perez denied.
“It is not going to occur, the regulation protects us,” Perez added.
“We is not going to get into authorized points. It’s unimaginable. The gamers ought to stay calm as a result of the threats will not occur. “This isn’t a league for the wealthy, it is a league to save lots of soccer.”
The important thing developments up to now
- A dozen golf equipment – together with Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester Metropolis, Manchester United and Tottenham – conform to kind a brand new midweek competitors
- European Super League will feature 20 clubs in all and run alongside home leagues such because the Premier League
- Founding golf equipment are being enticed with a share of a €3.5bn (£3bn) grant provided by the investment bank JP Morgan
- UK authorities says it’s ready “to put everything on the table to prevent this from happening”.
- France’s president, Uefa, the Premier League, Europe’s main leagues, gamers’ unions and former gamers all strongly criticise the transfer
- Liverpool supervisor Jurgen Klopp says he doesn’t agree with the transfer and that the membership’s gamers weren’t consulted
- A YouGov ballot of 1,730 soccer followers discovered 79% opposed the thought of a Tremendous League
- The 14 Premier League golf equipment not concerned within the ESL transfer will meet on Tuesday
- Followers air frustrations on social media and a few go to grounds to unfurl banners in protest