The primary time I spoke with Jeff Williams was throughout a “meet and greet,” definitely not an event that will earn a big place in his private annals. Mayors “meet and greet” virtually as a lot as they lower ribbons. It goes with the elected official territory. As cool because it was to inform my household that I had met probably the most noteworthy politician in all of Arlingtonland, that’s not after I knew Jeff Williams is an efficient egg.
That revelation occurred through the second time we visited. I reached out my hand to re-introduce myself, however he beat me to the beginning of the dialog. “I actually take pleasure in studying your column, Yale,” he stated, greedy my palm firmly. “Your grandson feels like a winner.” Right here’s the deal: Generic mayors are anticipated to say the primary half; generic mayors do exactly sufficient homework to know that the editor of the town journal most likely writes columns.
However it’s the genuinely first rate mayor who truly reads them. I had, certainly, written about my grandson in a column that posted not lengthy earlier than the Mayor and I first met. The “earlier than” half is the lifeless giveaway. Jeff very possible didn’t have the time – and I can’t consider anybody after first assembly me who would have the inclination – to return and take a look at my work. He truly did examine my grandson. He shared as a lot throughout our second assembly, and I knew then that voters had made a sensible choice.
This month, voters get to make a brand new one. Williams’ tenure because the chief of our metropolis is coming to an finish, however it gained’t take a historian to find out that his “period” was marked with resounding success.
As a part of a venture I not too long ago concluded that centered on the prosperity that emerged in Arlington from Might 2015 to Might 2021, I bought to chronicle the highlights. Listed here are only a few of them:
- The Texas Rangers bought a brand new ballpark, thus averting a transfer to a different burg.
- Texas Reside! turned a actuality, and its anchor, Reside! by Loews, was constructed earlier than our very eyes.
- A nationwide seek for the house of the vaunted Nationwide Medal of Honor Museum concluded shortly after the choice committee visited Arlington.
- Arlington turned dwelling to the WNBA’s Dallas Wings.
- Town acquired the official Music Pleasant Group designation, which is nice information for all the oldsters who at the moment are coming to an excitingly refurbished Downtown Arlington frequently and may wish to catch a live performance.
I believe you get the gist: Jeff Williams has been nice! for Arlington.
I’m proud! to say I do know him.