Arlington residents can take steps to be higher ready within the occasion of an emergency by assembling a catastrophe provide package containing fundamental objects that their family may have. This contains having sufficient water, meals, money and different provides for every individual within the family that might final for a minimum of three days.
“Everybody wants a package. Throughout a widespread emergency, assist might take a number of days to reach. Households needs to be ready to outlive for as much as three days earlier than assist arrives,” says Shawna Lemley, Emergency Administration Planner for the Metropolis of Arlington’s Workplace of Emergency Administration. “[You should] plan now, since you by no means know when a catastrophe will occur.”
When assembling your package, it is very important talk about emergencies, your loved ones’s plan, and the kits with each member of the household so that everybody understands the place the kits are and what they’re for, Lemley says.
Residents can make sure that their emergency package is stocked appropriately with the objects on the guidelines under. Along with the essential provides, residents ought to think about what distinctive wants their household might need, comparable to provides for pets, infants or seniors.
A fundamental emergency provide package may embrace the next advisable objects:
- Water – a minimum of one gallon per individual, per day
- Non-perishable meals (dried fruit, peanut butter or vitality bars)
- Further mobile phone battery or charger
- Battery-powered radio that may obtain NOAA Climate Radio alerts
- Flashlight and additional batteries
- First support package
- Mud masks, plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
- Moist towelettes, rubbish luggage and plastic ties
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, cleaning soap
- Non-sparking wrench or pliers to show off utilities
- Handbook can opener (if package accommodates canned meals)
- Prescription medicines and glasses
- Whistle to sign for assist
- Native maps
This record of emergency provide package objects is just a place to begin. It is vital that people overview this record and think about the distinctive wants of their household, together with pets, for objects to incorporate. People also needs to think about having a minimum of two emergency provide kits, one full package at house and smaller moveable kits of their office, automobile or different locations they spend time.
Extra objects to think about including to an emergency provide package:
- Prescription medicines and glasses
- Non-prescription medicines you’re taking routinely
- Toddler system, bottles, diapers, wipes and diaper rash cream
- Pet meals, water and provides to your pet
- Vital household paperwork in a conveyable waterproof container
- Money or traveler’s checks
- Sleeping bag or heat blanket for every individual.
- Full change of clothes, together with a long-sleeved shirt, lengthy pants and durable sneakers
- Fireplace Extinguisher
- Matches in a water-resistant container
- Female provides, private hygiene objects and hand sanitizer
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and disposable utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, video games, puzzles or different actions for kids
Sustaining Your Equipment
After assembling your package keep in mind to:
- Hold canned meals in a cool, dry place
- Retailer boxed meals in tightly closed plastic or metallic containers
- Exchange expired objects as wanted
- Reassess your package throughout daylight financial savings twice per 12 months and replace your package as your loved ones’s wants change
Equipment Storage Places
Because you have no idea the place you’ll be when an emergency happens, put together provides for house, work and automobiles.
House: Have the package prepared in case it’s a must to depart your private home shortly. Ensure all relations know the place the package is saved.
Work: Be ready to shelter at work for a minimum of 24 hours. Your work package ought to embrace meals, water and different requirements, in addition to comfy strolling sneakers, saved in a “seize and go” case.
Automobile: In case you might be stranded, preserve a package of emergency provides in your automotive. Replace your automotive package between every season based mostly on seasonal hazards.
For extra: arlingtontx.gov/preparedness