Grants For Veterans, Weak Texans
AUSTIN – Governor Greg Abbott at this time introduced that the Texas Division of Housing and Neighborhood Affairs (TDHCA) board has awarded $52.9 million in Housing Stability Service Grants to 31 organizations across the state. These grants will likely be used for housing stabilization actions, together with outreach and shelter companies, and also will permit the Texas Veterans Fee and TDHCA to work in partnership to attach veterans experiencing homelessness or these prone to homelessness with direct native help, together with housing, transportation, and psychological well being companies.
“Thanks to TDHCA for working creatively and collaboratively with 31 organizations to fund strategic packages throughout Texas,” mentioned Governor Abbott. “These grants will present a wide range of essential assets and companies to susceptible Texans and veterans experiencing or prone to homelessness, and they’re going to proceed to construct a brighter future for all within the Lone Star State.”
“We perceive the pandemic has positioned a really critical monetary burden on many Texans, and TDHCA is dedicated to seeing these awards present the required assets to assist get households again on their ft and in a secure housing scenario,” mentioned Bobby Wilkinson, TDHCA Govt Director.
The Housing Stability Companies Grants make up a portion of the $1.3 billion TDHCA obtained from the U.S. Treasury Division by way of the Consolidated Appropriations Act to assist income-eligible Texans struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Organizations receiving grants embody Haven for Hope, Goodwill, Salvation Military, the Other Ones Foundation, and extra.
Grant awardees are required to make use of the funds by August 31, 2022, by offering companies by way of a wide range of actions, a few of which embody:
- Internet hosting in‐individual and net‐primarily based clinics to assist households entry the Texas Lease Aid Program or different rental help packages;
- Offering landlord incentive funds to enhance and broaden housing choices for these going through boundaries to housing (e.g., households with felony backgrounds, poor credit score, debt or poor rental historical past);
- Providing specialised companies for people with disabilities or seniors that help their capacity to entry or preserve housing;
- Serving to get hold of identification documentation;
- Serving to with job placement (together with related childcare whereas trying to find a job), as wanted to acquire or preserve housing; and
- Offering stipends or quick‐time period cost help to public or non-public campgrounds prepared to make cabins or different dwellings out there for individuals needing short-term housing options.
Moreover, TDHCA is offering a $20 million grant to the Texas Entry to Justice Basis, an umbrella to authorized help teams throughout the state, for:
- Attorneys in JP courts serving to folks navigate the authorized course of for evictions;
- Conducting digital and in-person clinics to assist folks apply for the Texas Lease Aid Program, notably for these with restricted entry to know-how; and
- Offering no-cost authorized companies to assist folks with any housing stability points.